Sunday, May 13, 2012

Babycakes - GF Vegan Recipes

I had a wonderful pre-wedding lunch today with a few of my girlfriends and one of their presents included this cookbook,  Babycakes Covers the Classic Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles by Erin McKenna.  They chose this book as the author doesn't use refined sugars and they thought it was the perfect combination of gluten-free for me and low sugar index for my fiance who has Type II Diabetes.  Thank you ladies!

I couldn't wait to get home to scan through the book but I couldn't just scan because the recipes (and pictures) are so amazing, and I read the book front to back - even the acknowledgements.  Most of the recipes call for unsweetened applesauce and if I weren't tired, I'd head to the grocery store. 

I might have seen the author's first cookbook, but I was too overwhelmed with learning about how to cook gluten-free meals that I ignored all the dessert books.  I like the idea of not having to rely on eggs to make desserts because we don't buy eggs as often anymore.   We raise three hens and there are days when we run out and wait for the girls to provide for us.  I do keep flax meal on hand and that's used in the recipes as an egg substitute. 

One of the recipes I want to try is a simple sugar-sweetened chocolate dipping sauce that uses just vegan GF chocolate chips, refined coconut oil and salt as a topping for our favorite black bean brownie recipe.  Instead of adding dark chocolate chips to the brownie, I'll just top with the sauce.

Hopefully my next post will include a recipe from this cookbook - I can't decide between the Nilla Wafers and Oatmeal Cookie...or snickerdoodles...or....
 

2 comments:

  1. I heard refined coconut oil is no good. See this coconut oil article. Aside from that, this recipe sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the author chose refined coconut oil because it doesn't have the strong coconut flavor. You have a good point though to make sure we purchase the healthy version and she does provide a resource, www.omeganutrition.com. I was going to use what I keep at home, Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil...we'll see if it turns out okay!

    ReplyDelete